Thursday, March 17, 2011

Going for the Goal

 Definition of a goal:
1.      The result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end
2.      Intention or aim
3.      Synonyms and related words: aspiration, destination, end, finish, intent, intention object, objective, purpose, reason, target

I have always been a dreamer, someone with their eyes on the prize.  This is not to say that I have followed a  specific path to my dreams (of which I have many). But some things have worked for me – without fail.  Goal-setting is one of those things. Taking time to write goals, refer back to them periodically, and to make adjustments based on my current circumstances has kept me on track over the years. This is not to say that the path I have been on has always been straight or clearly defined.  The details are everchanging, but the overall focus remains the same:  how can I use my life, my work, my skills to assist others in following their dreams?

This thought has been in back of my mind since grade school. Now, back then, I did not phrase the question this way, but somewhere, along the way, a seed was planted to help others.  Helping others has always been a part of THE GOAL. Everything that I have done to date has led me to this moment.  My plan, my life, my work, is about providing people with the skills, tools and support to become financially literate, empowered and self-sufficient.

For the past four years, I have worked as both a financial counselor and a housing counselor for a non-profit organization.  In these roles, I have witnessed the struggles that people have around various aspects of money management. As a result, I have become more and more convinced that a lack of a significant amount of money is not necessarily the cause of finanical problems. My understanding has evolved, not through formal training, but through observation and through my own experiences.  Low self-esteem, addiction, guilt, fear and anger are among the many reasons that people appear stuck in their situations.  Yet, I have seen that with my help and encouragement, some people are able to make small changes toward achieving their goals of financial stability. Small changes go a long way in promoting self-esteem and building confidence. I have found that simply allowing people to talk and offering a safe, and non-judgmental place for them to be heard helps people to weed out the noise (fear, guilt, anger, family etc.) that distracts them from creating or focusing on their personal goals. 

Setting goals is the easy part. Follow-through is the challenge. Do you have goals? What are you going to do start to do today to make your goals a reality?

Tarin Washington
IDA and Asset Building Collaborative of N.C.

1 comment: