Wednesday, July 13, 2011

IDA Success Story: Cheryl Ross, "A Wonderful Life is What You Make."

A wonderful life is whatever you make it. I grew up in public housing and lived on a low-income status all of my life. One Sunday morning I read a newspaper article about a woman with the same circumstances. I read about how the IDA program helped her to become a homeowner, and she said how happy and thankful she was to be able to become a homeowner. I filled out an application not feeling confident that it would work for me. I met some good people with the same circumstances as myself. I never felt lost or confused because a coach was just a call away. I have always been looking for something better for me and my three daughters. My oldest daughter is a college student at North Carolina State University, and the nine and fourteen year olds are looking forward to also attending college.

Upon acceptance into the IDA Program I found the economic literacy classes very helpful in getting me organized and preparing a budget. The instructors were very personal and helpful, and the coaches kept encouraging me. I am now a very proud homeowner with a three bedroom home with two full baths, cathedral ceilings, a deck, three acres for a backyard, walk in closets, gas logs, central air, and a two car garage. I will never have to move again because I have found what I have always wanted. My advice to everyone in the program or considering the program is don’t start looking for houses too early. However, watch your budget and cut out things you don’t need. Also try to save more than one thousand dollars for you will want to buy some things for your house when you move in. Please be patient, and use every resource that is available to you. Ask questions, this is your future. A wonderful life is what you make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment