Monday, June 20, 2011

IDA Success Stories: M.M.

Had I been asked to write this success story two months, I would still have a lot to say, and a whole lot more time to say it. I didn’t have house then, but thanks to the IDA program I had already accomplished two things I thought I’d never.

The first was not spending money on things I didn’t need. For years the use of credit cards were my biggest temptation and downfall. The IDA program helped me distinguish between things I needed and things I wanted. Learning about interest rates on credit cards made me realize that the now broken VCR I charged 11 years ago actually cost me $600 dollars. The closet full of clothes I charged (now all too small) cost me four times the good bargain I thought I had found, and with all the money I charged for meals at fancy restaurants (that led to the clothes being too small), I could have almost bought my own restaurant! I was happy to cut the cards up.

Getting rid of them helped lead me to the second accomplishment – saving money. One of the main principles of the IDA program is saving money. And I was able to do it! Believe me, pre-IDA, no bank account of mine had ever seen a four digit balance for more that a couple of days!

That leads me to why I’m short on time today. When my savings account hit $1,000, Sue Simmons told me to start looking for a house. So I looked. And I looked. I looked at houses too small and at houses too big, houses with no closet space, houses with no counter spaces; ugly wallpapered walls, hideous carpeted floors. Until one day, my real estate agent drove me into a perfect driveway that led to a perfect house! I asked her to write the contract to make a bid on it right away.

In a blur, my loan was secured, the house was inspected, and the lawyer was contacted. And at closing, there sat Sue Simmons, along with Mr. Stewart from ESR, providing support and encouragement to the very end, not to mention the checks they passed to the lawyer on my behalf! It was all so simple, and I am so very thankful.

Today, I’m in my home with a garage full of junk waiting to be put away. And every night, I get down on my knees to thank God for that garage and the house to which it is attached, for my family and for the IDA program.

No comments:

Post a Comment