Friday, August 5, 2011

IDA Success Stories: A Single Mother of 2 and the Family Caretaker Reaches for the American Dream

I am a 42-year-old single African American with two sons, ages 15 and 24. My elderly father and his sister are also in the home. Currently, I am employed with the Forsyth County School System as a Teachers Assistant. I wasn’t familiar with any program in Winston-Salem area that would work with families that needed some assistance to help them become self-reliant.

I was at home when I received a phone call from one of my friends telling me about a program that she would like for me to participate in. However, she knew that financially I would be unable to do the program in its entirety. So, she asked that I come and hear her lecture because she knew it would benefit me somehow. By hearing her lecture it helped me set financial goals, budget planning, insurance and many other things. I was so glad to have received that call. The young man who met me at the door recognized my name and introduced himself and told me to please enjoy the lecture. At that point it was very clear to us that financially it would take a miracle to be able to participate in this program and purchase a home. But, thanks be to God the young man I met earlier was able to work out a way for me to participate. I was given sound advice from a team of workers through the IDA program.

Later, my IDA worker told me about the Self-Sufficiency Program at Experiment in Self-Reliance. I was approved for enrollment and needed additional assistance with budgeting skills, assistance in acquiring information on citizenship for my sons and father who are currently in the United States on Visas, and financial assistance to stabilize my household. This program would further enhance the ability to become a homeowner and self-reliant through a series of intense case management session during my monthly visits.

Things have come together for me. My family is receiving regular medical services. I have increased my annual income and learned some basic budgeting skills. Each month I continue to work with my case planner on developing those skills, and others that will help me become economically self-sufficient. I meet with my case planner once each month, and maintain telephone contact to ensure that no additional barriers arise that would hinder my progression to self-sufficiency.

I have finished the IDA Program by building a new home from scratch; and I may add I am the first one out of the group to have a home built. Even though some may believe that it just happened, I know that God had a plan and it was just unfolding.

I am thankful to God who is first in my life for making all of this possible for my family and myself. I am so grateful for the friends that God has placed in my life to be angels and they are not even aware of that. Please continue to make these programs available to others who aren’t able to do it alone.

Just imagine five persons living in a home and only one working. To purchase this home is nothing but a miracle for my family and me. That’s why the name of my home will be The Miracle House. ESR and IDA programs provide assistance to people who would otherwise not have the opportunity to better themselves and their situations.

If I had not been given the opportunity to be a part of the ESR/IDEA/Self Sufficiency programs, I would still be renting a house that would never be mine, struggling to manage my expenses each month, and I would probably be making the same amount of money I was earning before ESR, because I didn’t have a home to call my own, thereby making me feel more motivated to keep what I worked hard to accomplish. Also, my family would still be wondering when they would become citizens of the USA. My boys are just days away from becoming citizens and my father would have the same opportunity in a very short while.

Thanks to all of you for being there in my time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment