Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Adventures

As fall is rapidly approaching, many of us are preparing to start new adventures. This week marks the beginning of something new for me, as I begin my year of service as an Americorps VISTA at the Forsyth County Department of Housing, primarily working with the New Century IDA program. As a 2009 graduate of Wake Forest University, I am happy to return to Winston- Salem where I can enjoy ACC sports (Go Deacs!) and good southern cooking. My puppy Lola is adjusting to life in Winston- Salem and is anxious to explore Pilot Mountain and other walking trails in the area.

The New Century IDA program in Forsyth County is one of the most successful in the country. Since 1999, over 440 people have successfully completed the program by becoming homeowners. Owning a home is a goal for many Americans, but the process can be tricky and intimidating. The New Century IDA program empowers people to reach the goal of home ownership by offering financial literacy classes and matched savings accounts. As a young adult living on a tight budget, I can appreciate how valuable this extra guidance can be!

The Department of Housing is fortunate to have many partners throughout Forsyth County who share a vision of asset building and of making home ownership a reality for people in our community. These partners help make the New Century IDA program such a success. I look forward to meeting all of you in the upcoming weeks and collaborating this year! I am also excited about getting to know clients of the New Century IDA program as I hear your stories and learn how we can serve you better.

It is exciting to join a program that provides such a valuable service to the community. I look forward to working with all of you this year, as we strive to insure the continued success of the New Century IDA program and reach out to new communities. This is going to be a great year!

Rachel Bates
AmeriCorps VISTA

No comments:

Post a Comment