Friday, December 14, 2012

Generation Y Not: Different, Not Wrong


As a member of Generation Y, or the generation commonly referred to as “millennials,” I am fascinated by the facts, statistics, and general descriptions that surface about our “type.” Known for being the “Entitled Generation,” individuals born after 1980 and currently entering the workforce have developed a reputation for overspending, irresponsibility, and lack of work ethic. Just type “millennials” into Google and you’ll find links like “tips for managing millennials,” “millennial generation could kill the NFL” and articles by people like me who seek to defend Generation Y’s intentions and stand up to the stereotypes. The truth is that we are just trying to make it in this world and just because we work differently doesn’t mean any other generation does it better. Here is one of five analyses that prove it:

We live at home.
I am a recent college graduate with thousands of dollars in student loans and I live at home with my parents. I know I am not the only one my age that lives off of a small income and I make my monthly loan payment work. I live off of a tight budget that still allows me to save each month for a house because I don’t want to ever rent. I am able to do this because of my parents who are so willing to do whatever they can to help me, which I understand isn’t the case for everyone. I don’t want to live above my means and I won’t. Do I want to own a house like the generations before me did at my age? Of course. But I won’t have my house foreclose on to fit in with their expectations, nor will I put a big job with lots of money before experience at this point in my life.

Stay tuned for reason #2 why millennials really aren't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment